Bauer Media US is seeking a General Manager (“GM”) to lead the operations of its digital group, Bauer Xcel. Reporting into the Executive Vice President, Digital, the GM will collaborate on development and execution of the go to market strategy. The GM will have P&L responsibility and direct oversight of technology, revenue, editorial, product and marketing.
Bauer Xcel is in the midst of a holistic reset, focusing our efforts exclusively on a 40+ women’s audience, while simultaneously developing complementary and tangential online experiences.
About Your Activities:
- Grow revenue across multiple revenue streams (advertising - including programmatic, eCommerce, lead gen).
- Lead ideation of new lines of business outside of our core editorial programmatic ad display properties.
- Act as an advisor to the sales team including brainstorming on proposal development and pricing for advertising partners.
- Work with the Finance and Operation teams on the monthly close, resolving aging issues and P&L adjustments.
- Mentor and coach direct reports.
- Develop business plans that can be used to communicate to Executive Management as well as individual contributors.
- Provide substantial and insightful feedback provided on work, documents and plans created by others.
- Work across multiple functions (including SEO, analytics, business development) to achieve broader goals for the brand.
- Analyze competitor strengths and weaknesses and assist in potential M&A due diligence.
About Your Outputs:
- Thoughtful one sheets
- Proposals, business cases
- Competitive research
- Budget spreadsheets
- Presentations for executives and direct reports
About Your Expected Outcomes:
- Provide overall executive leadership ensuring the continued development, growth, and execution of the business strategy, value proposition, team culture and the brands, including:
- Meeting or exceeding revenue, profit, and/or growth targets.
- Increase YoY revenue, sessions and engagement.
- Manage a team of resources to create high quality content
- Deliver products and services to internal and external customers that exceed user experience expectations.
- Drive innovation and new audience development and growth strategies (including potential focus on things like social and email).
- Communicate effectively and frequently with senior management as well as across functions with key stakeholders with respect to overall strategy and tactical planning as well as resulting performance.
- A proven track record of successfully building and managing a consumer-facing, digital media team that has delivered quantifiable success in meeting financial objectives.
- P&L experience, successfully exceeding the top line revenue and managing expenses to plan.
- Strong operational and analytical skills.
- You are able to roll up your sleeves and enjoy getting into the details, but can also take a step back to focus on the larger gameplan. You understand that digital success is achieved through a lot of trial and error, and you are comfortable testing and scrapping ideas if data indicates they’re not working.
- You have the drive and desire to take Bauer’s existing brands to the next level and develop new brands/lines of business.
- Thorough understanding of digital publishing and the various core areas of expertise required to support it: i.e. SEO, CMS, BI tools
- High degree of comfort and experience with data driven decision systems.
- Proven ability to develop, structure, and execute business strategies from high level vision to tactics, following and predicting industry trends and allowing the business to stay ahead of the curve as digital media continues to evolve.
- Impressive written and verbal communications skills with experience and comfort interacting extensively with senior management.
About Bauer Xcel Media:
Bauer Xcel Media is the digital division of Bauer Media Group US, a women’s lifestyle publisher. Our brands include WomansWorld.com, FirstforWomen.com, SoapsinDepth.com and Sweepon.com. We reach over 12 million women through our digital and print products –inspiring them spiritually, professionally and personally in their everyday lives.
Bauer Media Group US is part of Bauer Media Group based in Hamburg, Germany. We design digital products, publish magazines, and make radio programs in 17 countries on four continents. Globally, we reach over 150 million monthly unique users.